It is very important, at times like these, to adhere to the basics of social distancing — minimize contact, wear masks and keep away from stepping out. Then again, in relation to the elderly (above 65 years), special care is imperative, for they’re more prone to Covid-19, owing to a weak immunity and chronic diseases such as blood pressure, diabetes, etc. Here are some expert-recommended tips for them:
1. Consume vegetables and fruits that are rich in vitamin C, E and zinc. Include immunity boosters such as amla, onion and garlic, in addition to flax seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and almonds, which are rich in omega 3 fatty acids. Also, add berries to your diet, as they’re rich in antioxidants.
2. Have eight to nine glasses of water, as that will retain mucous membranes moist, which lowers the chances of bloodless and flu. You might want to also consume fluids in the form of coconut water, soup, milk, fresh homemade juices or lemon water with honey, mint leaves and a few unprocessed sugar.
3. Get enough sleep, as it reboots the brain and body.
4. Consult with your doctor on call or online, whether need be.
5. Order essentials online instead of stepping out, including medicines, and take a look at the use of digital modes of payment for a similar.
6. Self-monitor blood pressure and sugar each day, and retain an emergency contact number handy.Wash your hands incessantly, for a minimum of 20 seconds, and spray disinfectant on handrails and tables.
Inputs by Dr Naveen Bhamri, HOD Cardiac Sciences, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Shalimar Bagh, Dr Monica Mahanjan, Medical Director, Internal Medicine, Max Multi speciality hospitals Panchsheel Park and Nutritionist Tripti Tandon
HT City Highlight
This highlight is on Health & Wellness
Subject: Health & Deal with the elderly
DON’T MISS THE WEBINARS
Date: May 23, 2020
Continue to exist: https://www.facebook.com/hindustantimes
Session 1: 6 – 6.45pm
(In conversation: Suresh Oberoi,
Vivek Oberoi, Dr SKS Marya
Session 2: 7 – 7.45pm
(In conversation: Kulshrestha Nushrat Bharucha,
Dr Manish )