ISL: SC East Bengal Open Account After Settling For A Draw Against Jamshedpur FC



SC East Bengal earned their first point of the Indian Super League (ISL) Season 7.© Twitter

SC East Bengal earned their first point of the Indian Super League (ISL) Season 7, as they held Jamshedpur FC to a goalless draw at the Tilak Maidan Stadium on Thursday. The result meant Robbie Fowler’s side continued to be behind of the ISL table after four games. Fowler rang in four changes to his eleven that suffered a defeat against NorthEast United FC, while Jamshedpur FC made only one change as Aniket Jadhav used to be included in the line-up. Jamshedpur were superior and dominated possession against SCEB in the first half, but both sides headed into the break goalless after Coyle’s side failed to transform their chances. The game used to be a cagey contest in the opening quarter but the momentum shifted in Jamshedpur’s favour once East Bengal were reduced to 10 men in the 25th minute.

Jamshedpur fashioned an early possibility to break the impasse as early as the sixth minute. Peter Hartley threaded a ball for Jadhav in the box, but the forward blazed his shot over the bar.

East Bengal presented their opponents with a good fight as they tried to seize the lead, but the task got tougher when they were down to 10 men. Eugeneson Lyngdoh received his marching orders from the referee for a second yellow, following a rash tackle on Alexandre Lima.

Jamshedpur capitalised on the sending off and continued to pile pressure on Fowler’s side but failed to transform their chances. Just before the half-hour mark, Valskis came near to breaking the impasse. Laldinliana Renthlei whipped a cross from the correct which used to be met by Valskis on the volley, but the ball narrowly missed the farpost by inches.

Nine minutes later, Stephen Eze had another golden possibility to hand Jamshedpur the lead. The defender leapt high to meet Aitor Monroy’s corner only to see his header, strike the underside of the crossbar before being cleared absent.


Jamshedpur continued to dominate proceedings after the break, pinning East Bengal to their own half. They were almost awarded for their persistence in the 69th minute only to be denied by the woodwork, again.

Both sides played cautiously in the dying minutes in hopes of not conceding a goal. There used to be drama late in the game as Renthlei used to be shown a second yellow card all over stoppage time, leaving both sides with 10 men. After all, both sides settled for a draw. 

Topics mentioned in this article


Top stories / News / Sports


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here