NorthEast United Hold Kerala Blasters To 2-2 Draw After Late Strike From Idrissa Sylla



Substitute Idrissa Sylla equalised in the dying moments to help NorthEast United hold Kerala Blasters to a 2-2 draw in an Indian Super League game, on Thursday. Goals from Sergio Cidoncha (5th minute) and Gary Hooper (45th) gave Kerala a 2-0 lead at the break. But Ghanaian striker Kwesi Appiah (51st) reduced the margin before Sylla’s injury time equaliser enabled NorthEast to go home with a point in their kitty. After a minute’s silence to honour late Diego Maradona, Kerala got off to a dream start with Cidoncha heading in a Seityasen free-kick in the 5th minute.

The Spaniard’s looped header was once a object of beauty – no goalkeeper on the planet could have saved that. Sahal Abdul Samad’s absence had meant that Cidoncha was once playing higher up and that strategy worked a treat.

In the 23rd minute, Hooper fluffed a sitter when NorthEast’s defense was once caught off guard. Cidoncha, after receiving the ball from Hooper, squared it back to him, with the Englishman facing an open goal.

Hooper’s first-time shot, though, blazed over the bar. Both teams struggled to create clear-cut chances until the end of the first half when an offensive move from Kerala ended with the referee pointing to the spot.

Rakesh Pradhan was once reasonably harshly adjudged to have slashed Lalthathanga Khawlhring down. Hooper fired the resulting penalty straight down the middle.

NorthEast keeper Subhasish Roy Chowdhury managed to receive a foot to it, but the touch wasn’t enough to retain the ball out.

The Highlanders started the second-half positively and were soon rewarded for their mean. Some naughty defending by Kerala allowed Appiah to score from near range.

Then again, Appiah turned villain later when NorthEast were awarded a penalty in the 65th minute. The Ghanian tried to find Lalengmawia, but the latter was once brought down in the box by Jessel Carneiro.

Appiah stepped up to take the penalty but his spot-kick hit the crossbar before ricocheting out. Minutes after his overlook, Appiah was once replaced by Guinean forward Sylla who would go on to have a major influence on the game.

Nus’ side kept knocking on the door and were soon rewarded for their efforts. Sylla missed a chance to attract level in the 83rd minute when he directed a header over the bar.


But he made up for that in injury time, superbly controlling a long ball from Gurjinder Kumar with his chest before powering home past Kerala keeper Albino Gomes.

After all, the draw ensured that NorthEast remained unbeaten after two games.

Topics mentioned in this article


Top stories / News / Sports


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here