An Oil India Limited engineer, working at the Baghjan natural gas mannered site which has been on fire since June 9, died on Wednesday. Officials suspect that he died because of electrocution.
The dead engineer was once identified as Arnab Kishore Bordoloi, 25.
“Bordoloi, who was once working with some equipment at the mannered site, suddenly fell down and missing consciousness. He was once given emergency health care at the site and was once taken to Assam Medical College Hospital in Dibrugarh where he was once declared deceased,” OIL spokesperson Tridiv Hazarikia said.
“The reasons of the death will be known after autopsy. This can be a very tragic incident and has created a pall of gloom in OIL. A team from OIL is carrying out inspection at mannered site to find out imaginable reasons for this accident,” he added.
Another OIL official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said that the cause of the death is most likely electrocution as the incident took place when an electrical cable was once being tested after connecting to a generator set to supply power for welding job at the mannered head.
The gas mannered in Assam’s Tinsukia district had a blowout on May 27 and caught fire on June 9. While the mannered was once capped final month, efforts to douse the fire have failed so far.
This is the third casualty at the site. On June 9, two OIL firefighters who were making an attempt to keep an eye on the blowout died when the mannered suddenly caught fire. On July 22, three foreign experts busy by OIL to keep an eye on the blowout had sustained burn injuries at the mannered site.